We get asked these questions a lot.

Go the BATFE‘s FFL E-Z Check page at https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck. Then enter in the following code 9-77-xxx-xx-xx-01627. You can also contact the California DOJ at 916 227-3694 and ask if Ten Percent Firearms has a CFD number that authorizes them to conduct business in California.
The waiting period for the purchase or transfer of handguns and long guns is ten (10) 24-hour periods from the date and time of the acceptance of the DROS information by the CA DOJ and the assignment of the unique DROS number. Firearms cannot and will not be released to a purchaser before the end of the (10) 24-hour periods.

Further, a purchaser will have to resubmit their DROS information and pay the DROS fee again if they do not pick up their firearm within 30 days of original DROS submittal.

In order to purchase a firearm from us you will have to come in and start your background check and 10 day wait in person (also known as DROS paperwork). After (10) 24-hour periods then you will have to come back to pick up your firearm. We cannot and will not start your DROS paperwork by phone or mail as we are required to get your signature, copies of your driver’s license, utility bills, and swipe your drivers license into the computer. This cannot be done by mail.
DROS is an acronym for Dealer Record of Sale. DROS fees for a single transaction of any number guns is $25. Your DROS fees are due at the time of DROS submittal by Ten Percent Firearms, also known as the start of your ten day waiting period. We must collect your DROSfees at that time as whether or not you pass the background check we are charged DROSfees. Additionally if you do not pick up your firearm within a 30 day time frame from DROSsubmittal, you must start the DROS process over again and pay the appropriate fees again.

If you want to check if you are eligible to take possession of a firearm, you can utilize thePersonal Firearms Eligibility Check Program before you submit your DROS information.

The California legislature in its infinite wisdom has gone to great lengths to protect us from “unsafe” handguns by establishing a handgun safety testing procedure and placing “safe” guns on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale. Refer to the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale before ordering a handgun, because I can’t sell you a handgun not on the list.

The Firearms Safety Certificate (FSC) is explained in detail in the glossary section of this website. You will need an FSC if you want to buy a firearm from Ten Percent Firearms or you will have to meet an appropriate exemption classification.

The State of California has determined that you should only buy one handgun in a 30 day period. Handgun transactions related to law enforcement, private party transfers, returns to owners, and other specified circumstances are exempt from the one-handgun-per-30-day restriction.

Full time paid peace officers can purchase handguns not on the Roster of Approved Handguns for Sale and magazines over 10 rounds capacity with a copy of their department ID. Retired peace officers are NOT exempt from the handgun roster and cannot purchase large capacity magazines, but they may posses large capacity magazines.

Full time paid peace officers with letterhead of the agency by which the purchaser or transferee is employed, identifying the purchaser or transferee as a full time paid peace officer who is authorized to carry firearms while in the performance of duties, and authorizing the purchase or transfer are 10 day wait exempt.

There are no exemptions for the assault weapon’s laws for law enforcement officers. They may possess department issued assault weapons or must use a “blue card” to register an assault weapon through their department.

There are certain classes of law enforcement that have additional private party transaction (PPT) restrictions. If you are one of these listed officers, you may not PPT any non-rostered handgun to anyone also not on this list or who is roster exempt.

(A) The Department of Parks and Recreation.

(B) The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

(C) The Division of Investigation of the Department of Consumer Affairs.

(D) The Department of Motor Vehicles.

(E) The Fraud Division of the Department of Insurance.

(F) The State Department of State Hospitals.

(G) The Department of Fish and Wildlife.

(H) The State Department of Developmental Services.

(I) The Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

(J) A county probation department.

(K) The Los Angeles World Airports, as defined in Section 830.15.

(L) A K–12 public school district for use by a school police officer, as described in Section 830.32.

(M) A municipal water district for use by a park ranger, as described in Section 830.34.

(N) A county for use by a welfare fraud investigator or inspector, as described in Section 830.35.

(O) A county for use by the coroner or the deputy coroner, as described in Section 830.35.

(P) The Supreme Court and the courts of appeal for use by marshals of the Supreme Court and bailiffs of the courts of appeal, and coordinators of security for the judicial branch, as described in Section 830.36.

(Q) A fire department or fire protection agency of a county, city, city and county, district, or the state for use by either of the following:

(i) A member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Section 830.37.

(ii) A member other than a member of an arson-investigating unit, regularly paid and employed in that capacity pursuant to Section 830.37.

(R) The University of California Police Department, or the California State University Police Departments, as described in Section 830.2.

(S) A California Community College police department, as described in Section 830.32.

If you do not have a UL listed gun safe as defined by the CA DOJ, you are required to buy an approved FSD (AKA gun lock) at the time of sale or show us a receipt for an approvedFSD that you purchased in the 30-days prior to taking possession of your firearm. Many firearms also come with a gun lock and that may be used as well.
Despite what some dealers might do, our company policy is that we must physically check your ID and you must be present to start your DROS. This cannot be done by mail. As a result, if you are going to DROS the firearm through us, you must come to Taft once to start your ten day background check and then return 10-30 days later to pick up your firearm.

We do offer shipping. We can ship your firearm to your local FFL for local transfer. Please utilize our secure shopping cart for your ordering convenience.


This scooter will never be for sale!